Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cssathya

Can external users be invited to collaborate on "new workspace"?

I understand that the current B2B mechanism limits external users only from consuming content in a workspace but not collaboration (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Share-content-with-external-users-and-be-able-to-collaborat...

Given the new workspace mechanism that is not tied to O365 groups, will this change? My scenario is as follows:

1. I am part of abcompany and my ID is me@abcompany.com

2. I create a "new" workspace (the preview one) called "XYZ Workspace"

3. Can I add someone@xyzcompany.com as a contributor to the workspace (assuming the person has a Pro license) and allow the person to collaborate with me on the dashboard?

Typical scenario: I have a contractor or system integrator who is going to support me in building my reports. Instead of onboarding the person and giving the person an organizational account, can I directly invite the person with the person's own company email to collaborate on my workspace to develop dashboards?

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I currently understand it, this does not work even in the new workspace.
This would be ideal, as I personally have got about 6 different logins for different organizations where I am assisting them with Power BI.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Snap
Frequent Visitor

Hi GilbertQ, 

Do each of those 6 organisations have a extra PowerBI license for your username at that organisation. So in theory you will have 6 licenses plus maybe your own? 

I am in the same position where I need to collaborate with a organisiation and deciding on the best way forward as it is a problem being a external user at the moment. 

Hi there

For each organisation where I log into their domain I have a Power BI Pro license.

But if each of the 6 organisations had to share data with me externally my own Power BI Pro license would be all that I required to view the content.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors