Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ellac
Helper III
Helper III

Can a user have multiple workspace roles?

Hi!

I have a question regarding workspace roles. Can a Pro-license user both belong to a AD group which has the Viewer role in a workspace, and also be a Member of the workspace?

The scenario is that I have a whole team (including the Pro-license user) in a AD group, and don't want to remove it from there to be able to give the Pro-license user the Member role. While at the same time giving the Free-license users in the team the Viewer role. Can the Member role trump the Viewer role for the Pro-license user?

Thanks in advance!

/Ella

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ellac ,

By my test, you don't need to remove the member role of the user, when the user is a member and the AD group this user belongs to is a viewer of the same workspace, the Member role can trump the Viewer role, the user also has edit permission in the workspace.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ellac ,

By my test, you don't need to remove the member role of the user, when the user is a member and the AD group this user belongs to is a viewer of the same workspace, the Member role can trump the Viewer role, the user also has edit permission in the workspace.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello Ella, 

if the workspace is backed by premium capacity, then all AD users can view the report and you have to promote certain (Pro-) Users to be members. 

If your workspace is not backed by premium, then your free-licence users cannot access this workspace anyway. 

best

hashtag_pete

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors