Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Venkata1858

Can a user access dataset in the app and create report on top of it ?

If users have access to the Power BI app, and the app was published without the option for access to the underlying datasets, do the users still see the datasets in that app when attempting a Power BI dataset connection from their Power BI Desktop?

Can someone answer my question 

Thanks in advanse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Venkata1858 ,

In Power BI Desktop: from the Home ribbon, select Get data > Power BI datasets.

You see all the datasets you have access to, regardless of where they are:

The datasets you see in this list meet at least one of the following conditions:

• The dataset is in one of the new workspace experience workspaces, and you're a member of that workspace. See Considerations and limitations.
  • You have Build permission for the dataset, which is in a new workspace experience workspace.
  • The dataset is in your My Workspace.

If you're a free user, you only see datasets in your My Workspace, or datasets for which you have Build permission that are in Premium-capacity workspaces.

If these conditions are not met, they cannot see the datasets.

For more information,please see:Create reports based on datasets from different workspaces 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Venkata1858 ,

In Power BI Desktop: from the Home ribbon, select Get data > Power BI datasets.

You see all the datasets you have access to, regardless of where they are:

The datasets you see in this list meet at least one of the following conditions:

• The dataset is in one of the new workspace experience workspaces, and you're a member of that workspace. See Considerations and limitations.
  • You have Build permission for the dataset, which is in a new workspace experience workspace.
  • The dataset is in your My Workspace.

If you're a free user, you only see datasets in your My Workspace, or datasets for which you have Build permission that are in Premium-capacity workspaces.

If these conditions are not met, they cannot see the datasets.

For more information,please see:Create reports based on datasets from different workspaces 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

From the desktop, they should only see datasets that they have access to

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors