Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Philip
Frequent Visitor

Can a report be created using multiple datasets?

Hi all,

Can a report be created using multiple datasets?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cbailiss
Advocate II
Advocate II

No, a report can only be based on one data set.  

A data set is one complete data model, with relationships between the tables in the model.  A model also often contains measures covering multiple tables, etc.  

(A report spanning multiple datasets would be limited since no relationships would exist between tables in different models).

A data set can however contain multiple queries, i.e. can be based on multiple data sources.

Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Erik_N
Employee
Employee

This feels like a bug...    

If I have a dataset from a tool like OMS, and I have a dataset from my CMDB (stored in Azure SQL DB), and I want to have a report that shows OMS values with the CMDB relationship over top, the common thread would be the hostname(s).   Currently this can't be done.

I completely agree, and I'm surprised this is still the mindset in PowerBI. It would make sense if a dataset was reusable in this fashion so it it could be built/cleaned/updated from one main dataset, and used in several reports. If I have 100 reports that all work with Active Directory copmuters, I don't need the list of computers updated 100 times.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar problem, were you able to find a solution to this? Or a work around?

cbailiss
Advocate II
Advocate II

No, a report can only be based on one data set.  

A data set is one complete data model, with relationships between the tables in the model.  A model also often contains measures covering multiple tables, etc.  

(A report spanning multiple datasets would be limited since no relationships would exist between tables in different models).

A data set can however contain multiple queries, i.e. can be based on multiple data sources.

Chris

Thanks Chris, much apprciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors