Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WHH
Frequent Visitor

Can a pbit file be an entity in a dataflow?

We're just beginning to promote Power BI usage in our organisation. Our data teams have begun connecting our business systems data to Power BI workspaces as "trusted data". We want our Pro users to begin by predominantly connect to these trusted data sources and work in Power BI service workspaces. The majority of our Pro users are new to working with Power BI.

We have several brands in our company, with different colours and logos.

I want to create a template for each brand so their Pro users can pull this into their dashboard or App workspace.

I am wondering if I created a report template, saved it as a pbit file, can this be loaded as an entity in dataflow for them to use? This way I could load visuals in and also have a calendar pre-loaded.

Is this possible?

Is there a better way?

Thank you for reading 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. A pbit is a template with visualizations, format, data, etc. It contains a lot of information. DataFlows are only a place for data. You can't save a pbit in dataflow. You can save the pbit in a sharepoint. If you want pre defined entities in dataflows like Calendar Table, you can just copy paste your Power Query code to a blank query source or copy the entity from Desktop->Transform Data (edit queries window) to the dataflow edit queries. That way you can have a dataflow for your usual data. Then connect to that source inside the pbit. That way the pbit in sharepoint contains all the information including  the usual tables from your dataflow.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. A pbit is a template with visualizations, format, data, etc. It contains a lot of information. DataFlows are only a place for data. You can't save a pbit in dataflow. You can save the pbit in a sharepoint. If you want pre defined entities in dataflows like Calendar Table, you can just copy paste your Power Query code to a blank query source or copy the entity from Desktop->Transform Data (edit queries window) to the dataflow edit queries. That way you can have a dataflow for your usual data. Then connect to that source inside the pbit. That way the pbit in sharepoint contains all the information including  the usual tables from your dataflow.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

WHH
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I have taken your comments on board as well doing more playing and learning, I can see now how the request above isn't clear with its phraseology & what it's asking.

I have another question now that I'm struggling to resolve, but i'll raise it as a seperate post if needed.

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors