Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a dataset be refrehsed more that 8 times / day in shared capaticy? (Direct query)

Hi All,

Can a dataset be refrehsed more that 8 times / day in shared capaticy?(Direct query)

Regards,

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nimai123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hello @Anonymous 

Have a look at the below points hope it answers your question.

There are several advantages associated with DirectQuery models:

• Import model size limits don't apply
  • Models don't require a refresh
  • Report users will see the latest data when interacting with report filters and slicers. Also, report users can refresh the entire report to retrieve current data.
  • Real-time reports can be developed by using the Automatic page refresh feature.
  • Dashboard tiles, when based on DirectQuery models, can update automatically as frequently as every 15 minutes

However, there are some limitations associated with DirectQuery models:

• DAX formulas are limited to use only functions that can be transposed to native queries understood by the data source. Calculated tables are not supported.
  • Q&A and Quick Insights features aren't supported

From a Power BI service resource perspective, DirectQuery models require:

• Minimal memory to load the model (metadata only) when it's queried
  • Sometimes the Power BI service must use significant processor resources to generate and process queries sent to the data source. When this situation arises, it can impact throughput, especially when concurrent users are querying the model.

IF YOU LIKE MY ANSWER PLEASE GIVE KUDOS AND IF MY POST HELPS YOU TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nimai123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hello @Anonymous 

Have a look at the below points hope it answers your question.

There are several advantages associated with DirectQuery models:

• Import model size limits don't apply
  • Models don't require a refresh
  • Report users will see the latest data when interacting with report filters and slicers. Also, report users can refresh the entire report to retrieve current data.
  • Real-time reports can be developed by using the Automatic page refresh feature.
  • Dashboard tiles, when based on DirectQuery models, can update automatically as frequently as every 15 minutes

However, there are some limitations associated with DirectQuery models:

• DAX formulas are limited to use only functions that can be transposed to native queries understood by the data source. Calculated tables are not supported.
  • Q&A and Quick Insights features aren't supported

From a Power BI service resource perspective, DirectQuery models require:

• Minimal memory to load the model (metadata only) when it's queried
  • Sometimes the Power BI service must use significant processor resources to generate and process queries sent to the data source. When this situation arises, it can impact throughput, especially when concurrent users are querying the model.

IF YOU LIKE MY ANSWER PLEASE GIVE KUDOS AND IF MY POST HELPS YOU TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION. 

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

In Direct Query Connection, whenever you click on something in your report, it is sending a query back to your Database in realtime and returning the results.

It will not be updated automatically if you do not set scheduled refresh which is limited to 8 times for Pro license and 48 times for Premium.

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors