Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Elienv
Frequent Visitor

Can a contributor give access to report in a subscription?

Hello!

I have a question relating to the subscription feature.
In our Premium workspace, I'm testing out how to and to who we can make subscriptions.

If the workspace admin creates a subscription, he can invite anyone he wants, and has the option to check all 4 options.

Elienv_1-1637916666804.png

When a contributor tries to make a subscription, he only gets these options : 

Elienv_0-1637916475296.png

He can not check 'Access to report', while this is the most important thing, otherwhise a link to a report is basically useless.
Is it not possible fo a contributor to make a subscription where he can give access to another person?

Can only a workspace admin and member do this? Or do I have to change some settings?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Elien

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Elienv 

The contributor's authority has always been much lower than that of admin and member. Especially in terms of management, the contributor can't add other users' authority to reports and datasets. It can be seen in the share report and subscription. It's by design. If you want to manage permissions for other people, you need at least a member.

vjaneygmsft_0-1638242873381.png

You can check the workspace role capability below:

vjaneygmsft_1-1638243138480.png

Reference:workspace-roles

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Elienv 

The contributor's authority has always been much lower than that of admin and member. Especially in terms of management, the contributor can't add other users' authority to reports and datasets. It can be seen in the share report and subscription. It's by design. If you want to manage permissions for other people, you need at least a member.

vjaneygmsft_0-1638242873381.png

You can check the workspace role capability below:

vjaneygmsft_1-1638243138480.png

Reference:workspace-roles

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Elienv 

This is interesting, thanks for raising the question. I have the same experience as you, Contributors in a Workspace (any Workspace, Pro, PPU or Premium) don't get the option to check "Access to Report" on a Subscription. Members in a Workspace do get this option. I guess it's a level of security granularity, but I was unaware of it. I've checked the Administration options and there does not seem to be any admin switches that change this action.

So it seems to best option is to move them from Contributor to Member.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Thank you for your reply! I was afraid I messed up some settings because it's a pretty weird issue.
I'll change the contributors to members for now. Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors