Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sinners

Can Workspace Viewers see row-level data in the data flow despite RLS?

I have a Power BI dashboard with RLS applied so that internal visitors can only see certain data. I know that I can use a direct link (Read access) to share this dashboard with them so that they can see it online with RLS applied. My question is:

If I add this dashboard to a Workspace, and I add the internal visitors to the Workspace with Viewer access, will those Workspace

Viewers be able to access row-level data on the dashboard's dataset through any means?

I've read Microsoft's documentation at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-roles-new-workspaces and at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards. Neither seems to answer my question. I am concerned with a line in the first link that says Viewers have the ability to "Read data stored in workspace dataflows." I'm not exactly sure what this means. Could these Viewers potentially read the dashboard's underlying data despite their RLS restrictions on the dataset and dashboard itself?

Any insight will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Cross-posted to stack overflow at powerbi - Can Power BI Workspace Viewers see row-level data in the data flow if there is Row Level S...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @sinners 

Provided you only give them "Viewer" access to the Workspace users will be subject to RLS and will only see Reports in the workspace, they do not get to see Dataflows. "Contributors", "Members" or "Admin" users in a workspace will get to see Dataflows and will not be subject to RLS.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sinners

@Burningsuit That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @sinners 

Provided you only give them "Viewer" access to the Workspace users will be subject to RLS and will only see Reports in the workspace, they do not get to see Dataflows. "Contributors", "Members" or "Admin" users in a workspace will get to see Dataflows and will not be subject to RLS.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors