Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

-Rem-
Frequent Visitor

Can Pro users access Workspace Apps hosted on an EM SKU Premium Capacity Workspace

Hello,

I am currently facing he following scenario: the company has a E5 license for everyone, so all employees have Power BI Pro. The company now wants to add Premium Capacity to their PBI landscape. They are considering getting an EM1 license since the capacity needs are somewhat limited. However one department is hosting their reports via a workspace app and that workspace is one that requires Premium capacity. Now sharing scenarios using EM SKUs seem to be somewhat limited according to this: What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I want to talk especially about this passage: P SKUs allow free Power BI users to consumer Power BI apps and shared content, in the Power BI service. EM Premium SKUs do not support unlimited content sharing, though they do support embedding in applications.

So there seems to be a limitation on Power BI Apps. With a P1 license even users without Power BI Pro oder PPU would be able to access a workspace app. However if a workspace is hosted using capacity from an EM1 SKU, would non-free users, be able to access that app - and would they be fine accessing with a Power BI Pro license or would they need a Premium per User license to access the app?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. EM1 licence has some limitations about sharing content. However none of those would prevent a pro user to share or be shared. If a pro user has view or more permissions with a workspace (shared capacity or dedicated capacity), they will be able to open reports.

The only scenario that a pro user CAN'T see a report it's if the report is hosted in a PremiumPerUser capacity workspace.

Pro users will be able to interact with any dedicated capacity (premium or embedded).

Just for the heads up I'll leave here some definitions of Plan EM1:

• you purchase from Office 365
  • monthly or annual contract
  • can incorporate (embed) in an internal application or SharePoint
  • visualization users can have the Free license
  • free user cannot view the content in the Power BI Portal, only in the application where it was embedded
  • access control by Office 365

I hope that make sense. You can read more details in here https://powerbiexperience.com/en/blog/definitive-guide-power-bi-licensing-free-x-pro-x-a1-x-em1-x-p1...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. EM1 licence has some limitations about sharing content. However none of those would prevent a pro user to share or be shared. If a pro user has view or more permissions with a workspace (shared capacity or dedicated capacity), they will be able to open reports.

The only scenario that a pro user CAN'T see a report it's if the report is hosted in a PremiumPerUser capacity workspace.

Pro users will be able to interact with any dedicated capacity (premium or embedded).

Just for the heads up I'll leave here some definitions of Plan EM1:

• you purchase from Office 365
  • monthly or annual contract
  • can incorporate (embed) in an internal application or SharePoint
  • visualization users can have the Free license
  • free user cannot view the content in the Power BI Portal, only in the application where it was embedded
  • access control by Office 365

I hope that make sense. You can read more details in here https://powerbiexperience.com/en/blog/definitive-guide-power-bi-licensing-free-x-pro-x-a1-x-em1-x-p1...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors