Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MitchM
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can Not View Datasets/DataFlows in New Look

We just noticed that in the new look we can not see the datasets/flows if the workspace is set to: Members Can Only View content.

We are ALL admins, not members to the workspace, yet the entire group can not see them. If we toggle it to Members can edit content the sets/flows come back. If we turn off the new look, and leave it on Members Can Only View, we can see the flows/sets. Something is broken in the new look. 

As a side note, when the new look was launched for reports there were similar errors and problems. I am not a fan of being used as a alpha tester without being asked, but as a content developer I am EXTREMELY unhappy with my users being used as Microsofts testers by way of the new look being turned on by default. If you are unable to launch a viable "update" to Service, at least have the decency to not force your users to devise work arounds.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also started having this problem on Friday (April 17). It looks like there has since been an update to the UI to add a tab for Datasets + dataflows; however, it doesn't show anything in it. The lineage view suggestion does work, but it's not very convenient -- I can't search the page to jump straight to the report I want to update. It makes me scroll through the list.

Hi all,

Update time:

The good: the Support engineer I have been working with has been fantastic. I want to get this out there because what follows is not a reflection on her.

The bad: the Microsoft product team (apparently) has no idea what they are doing

After multiple screen share sessions and multiple browser logs sent the answer the power bi team has for this issue is that this is “by design”.

Ok, so here is where my rant begins.

Under the old look I could designate workspace members as members or admins. Awesome! Furthermore I could limit my members to only viewing, but not editing, my datasets. Security, amazing! This was a rational, sensible process.

Now let’s get to the crazy “by design” new look:
1. Roles? Who cares! I can denote someone as a member or admin, but it doesn’t matter which because it makes no difference.
2. Security? Rock solid, because if I set my workspace to “allow members to only view” I not only limit my members from editing datasets but my admins as well. If no one can see them no one can edit them
3. But wait! There’s more (absurdity). You can bypass this “by design” security by changing from list view to whatever the other one is.

When I started this thread Greg (correctly) cautioned that progress comes with bumps. However, this apparent “by design” insanity is not a bump, it’s evidence that the designers are not putting thought into what they are doing.

MS, please reconsider your “by design” decision. I have an open ticket and would be happy to discuss.
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MitchM ,

Sorry for the unpleasant experience. 

This is a New Known Issue added for Power BI - Admins are unable to see Datasets in Read-Only Classic Workspace. Bug ID: 346787.

Workaround:

Admins can Turn off New-look in Power BI. Admins can also migrate the workspace to V2. Also Admin can click on top right corner in Power BI and go to Settings -> Datasets to manage the datasets.

Fix Status:

Fix will be part of 4.2 train.

I will notify you of any updates.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Icey , thank you for the prompt response. I am a bit confused by your email. It reads as though the issue is with the classic workspace and that he new look is fine. We are seeing the opposite of this.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MitchM ,

If the issue is not the same as yours, please create a support ticket to get further help.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

ticket already created and issue replicated while on videoconference wih MS. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

Thanks!

MitchM

@MitchM We ran into this as well and noticed that we can view and edit dataflows if we switch from List view to Lineage view without adjusting any admin settings.  Hopefully it helps your use case.

@ChuckT  thanks! Just checked and it works for us as well. Not ideal, but it at least allows us to keep our security in place and still refresh. Thanks once again!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Rapidly improving products has its pros and cons. 

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler  I agree, and the rapid improvements in desktop have been fantastic. In Desktop we have to go to preview and enable features, which is helpful for rolling out updated visuals/connectors/features as we can test and validate their compatibility with our reports. However, when Service level updates are launched, the default selection is "On". This causes huge problems for our development team who are deploying content to a large base of users.

Now we have to troubleshoot not just our own content as we deploy, but also anything that crops up with MS launched updates. Simply making new look "Off" by default would have fixed this problem. Also, making it stay "Off" on subsequent visits (which did NOT happen with the report New Look") would have great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors