Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mow700
Resolver I
Resolver I

Can I read data from DMV views in a report that is published to the service?

Can I read data from DMV views in a report that is published to the service?

I want to retrieve a dataset that contains meta-data about the report I am using. Specifically for now I just want to know some simple details about the internal model of the report:

select [Name], [Version], [ModifiedTime], [StructureModifiedTime] from $SYSTEM.TMSCHEMA_MODEL

I can do this as expected while I am authoring in the PBIDesktop by connecting to the local machine with DAX studio, here is an example result set:

snip_20171011101941.png

I want my report to be "self aware" while it's published to the service, but I can't figure out how to make a connection that I can publish to the service. I was hoping I could create a connection to the service using the new connector (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/connecting-to-datasets-in-the-power-bi-service-from-desktop... ) but I can't figure out how.

Any suggestions experts? I've used this approach against SSAS models in the past with success, I'm hoping to accomplish something similar with PBI models.

2 REPLIES 2
TheBrain

You can get this with "analyze in excel."  from the pivot table that points at your power bi service data source, you can drill through to create a new table, then change that table's query to whatever you want.  Your specific query example worked for me on one of my data sets.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mow700,

Considering how it(reading DMV data from pbix file) works, I don't think there is a way to read data from DMV views in a report that is published to the service currently. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors