Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

borlip
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can I embed Power BI reports in a website without subscribing to Power BI Premium?

Hi,

We are building an enterprise web app that would embed some power bi reports. All users should have o365 accounts.

I can't find any references why do we have to upgrade to a Premium Licence?

Potentially, we could have a few Pro accounts to setup workspaces and the rest of the organization would use the Free accounts.

The following reference suggests that we "should" turn on "premium". But why the personal license can't be consumed? Is there some throttling, performance issues?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tsmatsuz/2017/07/14/power-bi-embed-report-in-app/

"When you create your app workspace in your real production application, please turn on "premium" and assign the resource capacity. By doing this, the report is not consumed by the personal license, but the resource-based license is used with flexible Power BI Premium capacity. (When it's development environment or trial, this setting is not needed.)"

6 REPLIES 6
Birdjo
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello @borlip,

You can embed whole reports and resize them by using "Publish to web". This way you won't need any PBI account, but the reports will be shareable publicly with a URL. 

Or you can use Power BI Embedded to embedd tiles with PBI Premium, which grants you much more security.

Regards,
Birdjo

Sorry, your answer is incorrect. You can access Power BI api with Pro or Free license. You don't have to have Premium license to retrieve a reports via API. Here are some samples how this could be achieved: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-Developer-Samples

jvdl
Frequent Visitor

@borlipThese github samples stopped work with PBI PRO license as of about a week ago (July 20-ish). All the samples produce nothing more than ASP.NET exception stack traces (Authentication error). It has been rumoured that the samples should work with a Premium license but hell freezes over before I'd pay $6000 to run tests Microsoft software.

@jvdl The both samples work fine on "my machine" with Pro account

jvdl
Frequent Visitor

@borlipGot the sample application working again with PRO license by recreating my "apps" and reports on Power BI (generating new ID's) and Azure (generating new keys) and changing Office 365 password forth and back. Not sure which combination of actions did the trick.

Which means you can keep embedding Reports using Pro accounts without subscribing to Premium.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors