Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I distribute reports that people can view offline?

Hi all

Quick question, in my role at my current company I produce a monthly P&L dashboard in power pivot which is distributed in a 20mb excel file.

I am trying to be progressive and move onto Power BI, I have built a rudementary dashboard P&L - my question is, if I upload this online using a pro license, will people be able to download and view it offline (e.g. on a flight)?

I.e without having to download Power BI Desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

When you publish the report into power bi service, you could share the report/dashboard with others.

• Collaborate with coworkers to create meaningful reports and dashboards in workspaces.
  • Bundle those dashboards and reports into apps and distribute them to a larger group or your whole organization.
  • Create shared datasets that your coworkers can use as the basis for their own reports, in their own workspaces.
  • Create a template app that you can distribute to external Power BI users, via Microsoft AppSource.
  • Share dashboards or reports with a few people, from the service or the Power BI mobile apps.
  • Print reports.
  • Embed reports in secure portals or public web sites.

By these way, People could view the reports in power bi service without Power BI Desktop.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-how-to-collaborate-distribute-dashboards-reports

No matter which option you choose, to share your content you need a Power BI Pro license, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. License requirements vary for the colleagues who view your content, depending on the option you choose.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

When you publish the report into power bi service, you could share the report/dashboard with others.

• Collaborate with coworkers to create meaningful reports and dashboards in workspaces.
  • Bundle those dashboards and reports into apps and distribute them to a larger group or your whole organization.
  • Create shared datasets that your coworkers can use as the basis for their own reports, in their own workspaces.
  • Create a template app that you can distribute to external Power BI users, via Microsoft AppSource.
  • Share dashboards or reports with a few people, from the service or the Power BI mobile apps.
  • Print reports.
  • Embed reports in secure portals or public web sites.

By these way, People could view the reports in power bi service without Power BI Desktop.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-how-to-collaborate-distribute-dashboards-reports

No matter which option you choose, to share your content you need a Power BI Pro license, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. License requirements vary for the colleagues who view your content, depending on the option you choose.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you for the detailed reply - however can I get clarity on the following:

Can users use any of the above services to view the reports offline?

Otherwise Excel with power pivot has a clear advantage over Power BI

hi, @Anonymous 

If users want to view the reports offline( No network required), the only way is share the pbix file then open it in power bi desktop, or export to PDF or PPT as a static file to share.

By the way: Power bi desktop is a developing tool for the report, users could see all the underlying data and formula in it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors