Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Artefact
Helper II
Helper II

Can I copy a PBIX file with a live connection to other Service? (to keep the bare visuals)

I've made a report with lots of visuals. The pbix file is live connected to a dataset in my PBI service. 
I want to use the layout and the style of the visuals in the same report in another PBI service. 

Since I can't remove the live connection totally from the PBIX (right?), can another user from another organisation/PBI service open this PBIX file and connect the PBIX to a dataset in his service? The tablenames and measures in this new dataset are almost the same as in the original dataset in my service. So there will be a few errors in the visuals, but at least I won't have to copy all the visuals manually.

Is this the way to transfer the layout of a report (with a live connection in the original service) to another service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Artefact  

1. If you use  an account from another organisation open the file, it will get an error, and there is no visual will be show.

2. and you could recreate the report by copy visual from one power bi file report to another file report.Copy & paste

between Power BI Desktop files

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2018-feature-summary/#copyPaste

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Artefact 

For your case, you want a power bi template file for your report, But you are using live connection, so it is not available for live connection.

"The template isn't relevant here. There is no benefit to saving a live connect report as a template versus a PBIX file.

The user opens the pbit file and picks a data set that has the same name and same schema as yours, but this is all coincidental. As far as the PBI ecosystem is concerned, this a completely different data set. PBI wouldn't start using it just because the name happens to be the same."

and as a workaround, you may refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Download-report-with-Power-BI-Service-live-connection/td-p/...

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lin,

Thanks for your reply. I will dive in to your link.

2 more things : It was not my intention to use it as a template when I started making the report with a live connection. Only after completing it, I was asked to hand it over to another organisation. And at thet moment I was hampered by the live connection.

And because I can not test it the coming weeks, my last question is : Do you get an error when trying to open the PBI file with the live connection with an account from another organisation? Or does the file open, but then of course with all the visuals giving errors. In the second case, I still have my visuals, and can restore the connections/table names etc afterwards.

Thanks again,

Marcel

hi, @Artefact  

1. If you use  an account from another organisation open the file, it will get an error, and there is no visual will be show.

2. and you could recreate the report by copy visual from one power bi file report to another file report.Copy & paste

between Power BI Desktop files

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2018-feature-summary/#copyPaste

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors