Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vladmakienko
Frequent Visitor

Can I connect and manage datasets in Power BI Service workspaces?

Using workspaces in Power BI Service allows interacting between owner and admins, members and contributors. After I downloaded my report to Power BI Service I want that selected users in the workspace can modify datasets. Is it possible? Can I also see the relationships between tables in Service? Or is it only in Desktop possible? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vladmakienko,

They cannot merge / append tables in power bi service. So that means that they cannot edit the datset in Power Bi service. However the users can edit the reports of the dataset and save it by themselves. One way to work around is downloading the pbix of the report and republish it.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vladmakienko
Frequent Visitor

Using workspaces in Power BI Service allows interacting between owner and admins, members and contributors. After I downloaded my report to Power BI Service I want that selected users in the workspace can modify datasets. Is it possible? Can I also see the relationships between tables in Service? Or is it only in Desktop possible? Thanks in advance!
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vladmakienko,

You can only edit your workspace to make the users can edit Power BI content in it or not, you can refer to the picture as below. However, you cannot select specific users in the workspace that can modify datasets. For your second question, currently we can only see the relationships between tables in Power BI desktop. You can download the report and open the pbix in Power BI desktop to view the relationships.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hey Frank!

Thanks for your answer! Are you sure that users in workspaces can't modify datasets? What's the sense of creating workspaces if my colleges can't modify/merge datasets? How can I implement the central reporting in my company? So selected users have access to selected data sources and data sets..

I really need help in this question! 

Thanks in advance 

Regards

Hi @vladmakienko,

They cannot merge / append tables in power bi service. So that means that they cannot edit the datset in Power Bi service. However the users can edit the reports of the dataset and save it by themselves. One way to work around is downloading the pbix of the report and republish it.

Regards,

Frank

Hey Frank! Thanks for your answer. It's really helpful! You say it is possible to make the contributors and members of my workspace to be able to modify the content, right? Datasets are the part of this content. But why they can't modify the datasets? I want the members of my workspace can work on their own. Can they download the content (report or dataset) to their desktop and after modifications send it back to the Service? It would be nice if they could for example merge the original dataset with some others or something like that... Are there other possibilities to implement this idea? @v-frfei-msft

Hi @vladmakienko,

Users can download the report as pbix and open the pbix in Power BI desktop and edit it. after that they can republish the report to service.

pbix.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Hi @vladmakienko,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,
Frank

nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

True data manipulation and transformation is done on the Desktop level only, same goes for the relationship. The new previewed workspace allows memeber's to have to edit permission to the report, but that is to change the report visuals and things around those lines. True data transformations need to be pushed from the Desktop after they are done there using M or DAX etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors