Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ImNewUser
Regular Visitor

Calculated table does not refresh after published to Workspace

Hi,

I am using calculated table pulling data from direct query table. When I publish the report to Workspace, it seems that the calculated table does NOT refresh. However, according to the below document, it states that the calculated table should be refreshed when ever the underlying data is refreshed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-calculated-tables

Did I miss anything? Please help... Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ImNewUser ,

Based on my test, for calculated table in direct query, that is kind of import. So in your scenario, you should set schedule refresh of your dataset to make it keeping refreshed. As the picture below, we can only set schedule refresh not cache refresh.

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ImNewUser ,

Based on my test , I cannot reproduce your issue here. Did you set schedule refresh of your dataset? Could you please refresh your dataste to check again?

mixed.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

No I did not perform any scheduled dataset refresh, because the underlying table is a direct query.

image.png

From the above, "VillageTable" is the calculated table and "V_TAR_OutageVillageBase" is the query that the calculated table pull data from.

However, it seems that even if I explicitly click "Refresh", the table of directquery refreshed, but the calculated table does NOT refresh.

Please help...

Hi !  I too am experiencing this issue and would like to know how to overcome.  Crafting reports with direct query is meant to keep the report always current such that a user doesn't have to worry about refreshes or schedule cycles (which, due to limits on the number of cycles per day, does not enable one to keep a report always current).  One would think that hitting refresh should trigger calculated tables to refresh to align to the underlying data, and if the underlying data is direct-query driven, the calculated table should always be in sync.  What's the way forward ?  If I have to schedule a refresh simply to update calculated tables based on direct query data, that's a severe limitation to the advantage of direct queries (ie "only use direct queries if you have no calculate tables").

Hi @ImNewUser ,

Based on my test, for calculated table in direct query, that is kind of import. So in your scenario, you should set schedule refresh of your dataset to make it keeping refreshed. As the picture below, we can only set schedule refresh not cache refresh.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors