Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

evgenyp

Calculated columns in web-based version of Power BI

Good day,

I am new to Power BI and trying to play with the web-based version (I am on Mac). I would like to visualize a dataset containing events posted with different timestamps. I got stuck at a point when I realized I don't know how to group by events by day rather than timestamp. I found posts suggesting to use a calculated column to extract day from a timestamp, but this option does not seem to be available in the web-based version. Just wanted to confirm that this indeed a limitation of the web-based version and cannot be solved. 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You are correct. Power BI Service only contains Power View, the report authoring and consumption experience, along with dashboards.

The Power Pivot / data modeling component is available in Power BI Desktop only. This includes adding measures, adding calculated columns, defining relationships - all DAX functionality.

The Power Query / get data component is likewise available only in Power BI Desktop. This includes the data transformation and mashup tools and M language.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregg,

Can we open/access an online power BI report into PBI Desktop and then add calculations to it and then view and share the updated report (with calculations) online?

@greggyb

Using Azure SQL Data warehouse. This can only be connected through Power BI Service, as Power BI Desktop fails to publish reports which are this large. In such scenario how do we create calculated columns or even sort a column using other column?

Thanks,

Sneha

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors