Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulWo
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Columns not updating on scheduled refresh

I have created the following calculated columns:

Domestic = if('Shipping Requests'[InternationalShipment]="TRUE",0,1)

International = if('Shipping Requests'[InternationalShipment]="TRUE",1,0)

GrantOrMTA = if('Shipping Requests'[AgreementOrGrantFlag]="TRUE",1,0)

In my report I use Multi-row card to show the sum of each column.  I have also tried a visual card for each with the same results.

When 1st publised to My Workspace, the data is correct.   It remains correct each time I re-publish from the desk

published multicard.png

Then I schedule a refresh and for the momemt keep the underlying data unchanged.  Following the refresh the multi-card changes to the following:

multirow card after refresh.png

I have reviewed the posted troubleshooting refresh scenarios, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios  and do not believe the suggestions provided include my problem.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks, PaulWo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulWo
Frequent Visitor

The calculated columns I described at the start of this thread were created in PowerBI Desktop.  I tried moving the creation of these calculated columns to the Power Query Editor.  That change eliminated the problem.  Not sure why but it worked.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PaulWo
Frequent Visitor

The calculated columns I described at the start of this thread were created in PowerBI Desktop.  I tried moving the creation of these calculated columns to the Power Query Editor.  That change eliminated the problem.  Not sure why but it worked.

Hi there

By putting it into the Query Editor, it will always be refreshed every time that the entire dataset is refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I would think that as long as the entire data is refreshed which includes your calculated columns it will then refresh the data.

If the calculated column is in a table that is not refreshed then it will not update the column data.

This is because the columns only get recalculated on the datamodel refresh.

Power BI Blog

The datatable containing the calculated columns is refreshed.  It is my understanding the if you schedule a data refresh all Import mode dataset types are retrieved and recalculated.  My comment regarding "keep the underlying data unchanged" was to say the data used to sum Domestic, International and Grant | MTA columns did not change.

My auto refresh history appears to be successful -RefreshHistory.png

I appreciate your response.  Issue still exists.

Hi there

You are indeed correct that it should be refreshed.

Can you ensure that you are running the latest version of the On-Premise Data Gateway?

Power BI Blog

I'm not using a gateway connection.  All my data sources are in the cloud.

Hi there

That could possibly explain why it is not refreshing, because it is not using the Power Query Refresh which in turn then updates the Power BI dataset.

Power BI Blog

My scheduled refresh should be performing the Power Query Refresh.  Other areas of the report update so I do think a refresh query is occuring.  Perhaps I don't understand your last comment.    

It would appear then that the refresh is happening.

I am not sure why the calculated column is not updating.

Would it be possible to run manually on Power BI Desktop and see?

Power BI Blog

When I refresh on the desktop everything looks good.  When I publish to the BI service and review the report on the BI service everything looks good.  When I shedule auto refresh from the BI service everything, credentials, access ect looks to be set up correctly.  When the scheduled refresh runs the BI service reports the refresh was successfully completed.  When I look at the report after the 1st scheduled refresh, the calculated measures I described at the begining of this thread do not display correctly.

I have the same problem. Do you have now a solution for this problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors