Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aplasschaert
Regular Visitor

CSV data does not recognize column as numbers when contains negative numbers

When connecting to a CSV (generated with powershell) a column with numbers is recognized by Power BI web as numbers.

Untill the column contains negative numbers then the column is recognized as string.

This results in a diffrent (unwanted) non numerical sorting in Graph's.

How to handle columns in a CSV that conains negative numbers.

6 REPLIES 6
aplasschaert
Regular Visitor

@KHorseman and @kcantor Thansk for your support.

Incorrect characters is the first thing I excemined. There are no spaces in the input and the minus is ASCII 2D when viewed with a HEX editor. I have unsuccesfulyy tried to generate a csv in unicode with the minus as U+2212 in PowerShell.

When using PowerBI desktop, every test set I have is imported correct as numbers, neg and pos combined.
But I realy want to accomplish this in PowerBI Service (Web) because I am creating an auto updated Dashboard with input from various powershell scripts. I am doing this via CSV's on Onedrive for business, which automaticaly update the dataset when the CSV is changed.

@j_bujnowski Maybe my testing can help you.
Testsets I used and their results

• only positive numbers - Column imported as numbers
  • change one number to negitive - Column changed to string
  • only negative numbers - Column imported as numbers
  • change one number to positive- Column stays as numbers
  • random mix of neg and pos - Column imported as string
  • Specific mix of neg and pos, starting with 10 neg - Column imported as numbers

I believe Microsoft has a funny algortihem to interpet numbers.
This is so frustrating that I moved away from this solution and am investigating the use of PowerBI API.
This gives me more controle over the column type definition and as a bonus the possibility to directly update data from powershell and bypass Ondedrive.  With PowerBIPS in powershell via PowerBI API I created a dataset with a int64 column and have now succesfully loaded mixed neg and pos numbers.

Thies does not solve the issue here but it seems a better solution for me.

Have you actually explicitly set the column to a number datatype in the query editor before loading, or are you just allowing Power BI to auto-detect data types?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Service automaticaly recognized data types.

I'm using PowerBI Service (Web) to create auto updated Dashboard. I am using CSV's on the Onedrive.

When CSV is changed datasets/reports/dashboards are automatically refreshed.

In case Power BI Desktop everything works correctly with the same data.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you sure the negative numbers are actually marked with a true minus - character and not the dash – character? If even one of them is the dash character it will read as text. Also check to make sure there aren't space characters.

I have the same problem.

My file content (only single column):

Value

Field "Value" was recognised as text.

@aplasschaert

To build on what @KHorseman stated. In your query editor use the replace text function to replace all hyphen/dash with a minus sign and then replace all spaces with no selection being made (to remove spaces). I generally do a transform as well with trim and clean in case there are other issues present.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors