Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhanu431
Frequent Visitor

Buttons not working PowerBI Service Dashboard

Hello

Buttons I used in PowerBI desktop is working fine. Where as I deployed my report to PowerBI service and pinned live page to Dashboard..Buttons working in report view but it is not working in Dashboard.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, that is how i would expect it to work.

The reason being that a dashboard shows tiles of information and not supposed to be fully interactive, even with the Live Page.

You would have to go into the report to interact with the buttons as you indicated.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, that is how i would expect it to work.

The reason being that a dashboard shows tiles of information and not supposed to be fully interactive, even with the Live Page.

You would have to go into the report to interact with the buttons as you indicated.

Power BI Blog

I just hate this kind of limitations. Actually, working with dashboards is becoming terrible. It changes the dimension that I configure, even when in configurations the option of Power BI change is not setted. I'm trying a lot of ways to build reports with specific filters settings, but it´s impossible. If I save the bookmark to fix in one report, and save again to pin to another report, it overwrite, and both reports look the same. Affff. I´ve tryed to configure buttons to send to the bookmarks or for pages, e it doesn't work in a service dashboard. I'll need to multiply the reports for each set of filters. It´s umbealiveble. 
And it´s not the end, I'll need to divide the report in three to avoid that they change the dimensions. So, you can imagine how many different reports I´ll need to build just because a simple button, ou because this kind of overwrite. 

I have just spent time working on my buttons functionality only for this to not work in dashboards, really fustrating. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

FUNCTIONALITY - CONFUSING ?

I could accept that dashboard tiles are intended to be fully non-interactive. 

However, they do exhibit considerable interactivity e.g.

- slicers

- clicking on graph elements

The current offering then is a bit confused. Why not also Buttons ? I created buttons to reset all my slicers to certain configurations, just the sort of thing  that might be required  to complement active slicers in a tile.

DOCUMENTATION - INCONSISTENT ?

At web page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-buttons  it indicates that : 

"You can add buttons to reports in Power BI Desktop, and share or publish those reports to the Power BI service to create dashboards that provide an app-like behavior for users."

There is no mention in this article that buttons may not work as expected in tiles.

I'm lost and hoping to be put back on the right tracks.

Hi there

As far as I am aware dashboards currently do not consume or work with buttons.

The documentation you listed is by using a button you can pin the output to a dashboard.

Does that make sense?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if you mean that the "output" is only the numbers and graphs but not the buttons, then maybe this is an answer that can be worked with. But really, the documentation notes do not make this at all clear, quite the opposite.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors