Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tommy_g
Helper V
Helper V

Button action to send user back to dashboard

We have a simple 3 X 3 set of standard KPI controls (the original).

The client uses this as a base to drilldown into reports and Balanced Scorecards.

However, once there, it's no an easy transition to find their way back to the dashboard.

It traditional UI/UX design, you would always shoot for symmetry, an easy "undo" or easy "back" to return.

I've tried using the new Back navigation button, but appears to only work on report pages and bookmarkable objects.

Is there any way, on a report, to provide an easy button or link "back" to the dashboard (we only have one)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The only thing I could come up with, was to put in a text box and have that link back to the dashboard with a URL link?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

This might seem like extra steps, but if you set the "External Link" option on the dashboard tile, when selected this item will open as a new Tab instead.  To go back they can simply close the tab.  All you need to do is get the URL of the report page.

The only catch is that if you have the reports being used as both a Workspace report and as an App, you will be better placed to make use of the App Report Page URL.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This might seem like extra steps, but if you set the "External Link" option on the dashboard tile, when selected this item will open as a new Tab instead.  To go back they can simply close the tab.  All you need to do is get the URL of the report page.

The only catch is that if you have the reports being used as both a Workspace report and as an App, you will be better placed to make use of the App Report Page URL.

I'm going to discard my original plan on dashboard links.

The URL workarounds are effective, except that linking to the same tab sets up a new session and there is a perceptible lag. The technique of opening a new tab for drilldown to the underlying report incurs the same time penalty, at least on the setup side. The return trip, i.e. closing the new tab should be faster, but use "think time" on what to do is also a negative factor.

There are development & maintenance complications since 99% of our users will be running it as an "app" and URLs seem to change when re-publishing, or at least differ between the DEV account and the read-only app deployment. (not worth investigating at this time)

I have found the breadcrumb links work nicely when linking "down" to reports. It takes a bit of education to switch metaphors, i.e. on dashboard you click to navigate, wheras from the report "up", you don't click, you go to the breadcrumbs. I've experimented with buttons to link back, but still, that is different then the dashboard. 

Yes, this technique works. However, the user loses "context" when the are switched to the new tab. For example, there is no way to use a "back" button as you would inside a report. I suspect a lot of session information would be lost as well, although I have not yet used synced slicers.

I've had a similar issue with PowerApps, in this case just task-switching between a few "apps" as you would on a smartphone. Every external link becomes a new tab or browser instance, depending on the user's browser settings.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The only thing I could come up with, was to put in a text box and have that link back to the dashboard with a URL link?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors