Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Business Central in PowerBI

Hello there!

How can i get the data from Business Central in PowerBI via "Direct Query"?

There is no pop up while importing the data that asks me whether I like to import or to direct query the data.

Can anyone help me?

Because right now when I want to update the PowerBI reports, no one in Business Central is able to create or modify customers. 

Kind Regards,

Eva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Eva,

unfortunately there is no "Direct Query" for an ODATA Source.

But i think the page blocking is an known issue and should be fixed with Business Central 2019 wave 2.

https://community.dynamics.com/nav/b/arounddynamicsnavworld/posts/business-central-page-background-t...

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
garethseymour

Has there been any update on whether Direct Query has been allowed on Business Central data sources? 

No, as far as I know.

Hi Eva,

unfortunately there is no "Direct Query" for an ODATA Source.

But i think the page blocking is an known issue and should be fixed with Business Central 2019 wave 2.

https://community.dynamics.com/nav/b/arounddynamicsnavworld/posts/business-central-page-background-t...

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mwegener,

thank you! That is good to know so this Page blocking problem should be erased in near future.

Kind Regards,

Eva

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Business Central is a kind of on service, once you connect to Business Central, the content that you get is real time data. You can click Refresh button to get the latest data.

To install a Power BI App, you must also have a Power BI Pro license.

You must have a valid account with Business Central and with Power BI. Also, if you want to modify any reports, see Using Business Central as a Power BI Data Source.

You can learn more:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/admin-powerbi.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amy,

thank you for your answer. I do have Power Bi Pro license and I know that I can click on refresh, the problem is it takes for 20-40 minutes until one refresh is finished and I can only do 12 automatic refreshes per day and everytime I do a refresh the pages in Business Central get blocked.

We have articles with charge numbers and everytime the staff from store wants to check how many articles from charge number xy are right now in the system, the data in PowerBi might not be up to date. So if there was a direct query I would not have this problems with limited refreshes. 

I hope Microsoft will eventually allow direct queries for Business Central in the future.

Kind Regards,

Eva

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors