Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

Build permission via App pubilshed to Entire Organisation not working as expected

Hi,

I am trying to follow the pattern of putting "gold" datasets in one workspace (GOLD-WS) and reports in another (REPORT-WS).

In GOLD-WS i published it as an App and during app publishing and chose to publish to ENTIRE ORGANISATION and ticked the box for BUILD permission.

However the report over in REPORT-WS will not work with my test user.

I added the test-user to the dataset directly with build permission and it then works.

There is something wrong with the combination of publishing to APP, secured to ENTIRE ORGANSIATION with BUILD.

Any ideas ?

My theory after reading @dbartel post : Solved: Live connection permissions - Published Apps - Microsoft Power BI Community) is that an App is not truly available until you access it once and in this pattern, users may never click into the App as its purpose is just to server up gold datasets.

2021-05-07_9-32-02.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @frano72 ,

It is a known issue.  If you select Entire organization to Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets, then no one in the organization will have Build permission.   Instead, specify email addresses in Specific individuals or groups. If you want your entire organization to have Build permission, specify an email alias for the entire organization.

Please refer to  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-share

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @frano72 ,

It is a known issue.  If you select Entire organization to Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets, then no one in the organization will have Build permission.   Instead, specify email addresses in Specific individuals or groups. If you want your entire organization to have Build permission, specify an email alias for the entire organization.

Please refer to  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-share

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors