Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

paulwozniak
Helper I
Helper I

Browsing groups and discoverability in Power BI

I've created a group in Power BI and set it's privacy to public. How can others discover or browse public groups in Power BI? Having to invite everyone individually to a group doesn't scale well.

Any best practices on making reports / groups discoverable to the organization?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @paulwozniak,

If the reports or dashboards are published via content pack to your organization, then each user in your organization can get the reports via Get Data > My Organization > Get. If the reports or dashboards are published to a Power BI group, each group member can view it in this group workspace.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
paulwozniak
Helper I
Helper I

@ankitpatira @v-qiuyu-msft Thank you for your answers, they certainly help me understand the machanism at work. 

This is probably a bigger question or a a feature request it seems, but is there no way for a new Power BI user to discover any reports that are public / publically shared in public groups?

Hi @paulwozniak,

If the reports or dashboards are published via content pack to your organization, then each user in your organization can get the reports via Get Data > My Organization > Get. If the reports or dashboards are published to a Power BI group, each group member can view it in this group workspace.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @paulwozniak,

If you create a Power BI public group, people in your organization can make themselves members of the group, without needing permission from an admin. As soon as they're members, they have the same permissions that other group members have. For more information, please follow steps below:

1. Ask your team members open Outlook on the web. ( Click Mail or People )

a1.PNG

2. Under Groups, select Discover.

3. Select the group and click Join. 

a2.PNG

Reference:
Join a group in Outlook on the web

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@paulwozniak I don't think there is any such mechanism in power bi service to search for public groups. But groups in Power BI are O365 groups and there maybe a way of searching for a group.

1. Also I am not 100% sure but either of below two could be true, a public group when created will automatically appear for everyone in your organisation through their power bi service portal ie when they click on My workspace dropdown they will see public group there and can choose to be part of it.

2. Public group can be discoverable through Outlook under Groups.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors