Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AaronLS
Advocate I
Advocate I

Broken Line Charts

Using online report editor against SSAS DM, Line chart has gaps for missing values.  Is there anyway to get the lines to draw down to 0?  I have set "Show items with no data" for the Axis and that didn't help other than showing a month where no values existed.

LineChartGaps.png

8 REPLIES 8
AnneKeli

Seeing the same result in my report. Understandable default, but not great design if it's unchangeable. My setup is a "count rows" measure on the unit being evaluated coordinated with a legend based on the column results. with this solution a 0 should equal 0, but still no fix. Hopefully a solution is found or developed soon!

anchalg
Regular Visitor

I am facing excactly the same issue (broken line chart for months where there is no data).

Even replacing blanks with zero isn't working as the blank values are not being actually idenified as "blank".

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@AaronLS

Is the type of Month column Text? If yes, you will see the “broken” line chart. I think the only way is to fill the missing values with 0 in your SSAS.

If the type of Month column is Date, you should be able to see the continuous line.

Best Regards,

Herbert

I'm not sure what you mean by "fill the missing values with 0 in your SSAS".  The measures are aggregations of facts, in this case counts of facts, which returns an integer.  The months missing values are months where there is no related fact record for that intersection of values.  If for example, I add some sort of bogus fact record associated to the axi, then the count of records will be 1. So there isn't any record that can be populated with a 0, because it is a count.

@AaronLS

It seems that the Response Count measure may return BLANK(). What about changing your measure like below?

Measure = IF ( Count = BLANK(), 0, Count )

Then if there is no record in one month, the count will be 0 but not BLANK for that month and line chart should not broke any more.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi aaron,

The only solution we have on this case in power BI is

From your Axis uncheck the "Show items with no data" option. then u can see the continuos axis value.

Here no other options 😞

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, empty items on the axis still leaves gaps because other lines may have values for the same months where other lines do not. 

Did you find any solution for this. I am facing the same issue now @AaronLS 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors