Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bring to Front?

Is Bring to Front/Back, Align available on the web app?  

Or just the Desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous its available only on desktop.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 
Have the same issue, someone already submitted an idea but no popularity for it...
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/18722284-arrange-objects-send-to-front-send-to-back-etc

Going to the format tab and using send the main visual to back worked for me. Thankyou.

OK. The work-around is to use the View -> "Selection Pane" window to organize the order of visuals in the service. Use the up and down arrows when selecting a visual to change the order. The top most on the list is the top most in relation to the other visuals. Hope this helps anyone requiring this functionality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is 'The Solution'.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just tried this with a card positioned over a map - it sort of works.  The card disappears when clicking on the map, but appears again when mousing over another element. Haven't tried fixing this in desktop yet.

Hi,
OK as a work-around you may put visuals (you wish to set always on background) in a single Group (Group1) then in selection Pane, you give this group a lower order then the always on top visual. For exp, even if you select a little part of a table inside this group, this table wouldn't show entirely, it will remain hidden behind your "always on top" visual

Good luck 🙂

@bbrayek Great workaround!  Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Thanks Josh, very important feature for being able to produce new visuals from an existing dataset.

This workaround works well once you can find it 🙂

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous its available only on desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that's unfortunate.  I feel unable to progress with my work at the moment.

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Adding on to what @ankitpatira said, it's best to do all your aligning and positioning in Power BI Desktop. Once you publish it onto the service, you can fine tune the positioning by using the X & Y positions, Width and Height properties of each visualization.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.  With the bugs in zero dimension objects on the desktop version, I don't feel lconfident spending time on work that could be lost at any second, so I guess Power BI is on the back burner until they fix it.

Feel this feature is severely limiting the type of work possible in PowerBI.

For example, I have one single Dataset that informs multiple reports.  Basically Report A was created in the Desktop app, and then when published this created both Report A and Dataset A within the PowerBI workspace in web.  From Dataset A, I then create an additional Report B that is using the same dataset.  These reports are separated out due to them going to vastly different audiences, and us not wanting to throw a report at someone with 40+ tabs.  Simply for convenience and usability, Report B had to be created out from Dataset A.

Here's where the problems start.  With Report B (which was created in the web view), several visual elements are just stuck on an inappropriate layer (either they're on top when they should be in the back or vice-versa).  As the report engineer, I have no way to fix this outside of downloading the PowerBI report and then re-publishing it.  However, because Report B has a different name from Report A (and thus Dataset A), re-publishing Report B after making these edits results in a new dataset (Dataset B) being added to the PowerBI workspace.

So now I have 2 identical datasets that each need to be maintained and updated instead of the one single Dataset A, essentially doubling the work on the report owner's plate regarding dataset upkeep.  Again, this simple missing behavior is severely impacting our team's ability to use PowerBI for our ends; really want to see this addressed in the near future.

@Anonymous you should format aligning in powerbi desktop and then publish that to powerbi.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors