Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Bookmarks remove report level filter

Hi Guys,

I have a report in which i send filters through URL.

Recently i have created bookmarks in which i show and hide a map visual by creating a toggle button approach.

However, after publishing the report, when i click on the toggle button which basically is connected to a bookmark, the filter which was passed by URL gets removed i.e. No value is selected for that Report Level filter.

Can anyone tell any solutions for this issue?

Regards,

@prateekraina

9 REPLIES 9
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prateekraina,

>>However, after publishing the report, when i click on the toggle button which basically is connected to a bookmark, the filter which was passed by URL gets removed

Did you means the 'publish to web' feature? If this is a case, current publish to web feature not support url filter and RLS.

You can try to submit this to ideas.

Limitations and troubleshooting

There are a couple of things to be aware of when using the query string parameters.

• Query string filtering does not work with Publish to web URLs.

• Field type has to be string.

• Table and field names cannot have any spaces.

Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for the response.

I am not using Publish to web feature. I have simply embedded a report in my web app and i am passing filters to it via URL.

Prateek Raina

Hi @prateekraina,

You can check below link which told about the limitation about bookmark feature:

Limitations and considerations

In this preview release of the bookmarks, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Custom visuals do not work with bookmarking if they are the source of the filter. If you're using custom visuals to filter elements on a page (for example, the chiclet slicer) and return to that page using a bookmark, the page may be filtered but the custom visual won't be updated to show how the page is being filtered.
  • Cross-highlighting status for a report pane is not saved when you create a bookmark.
  • If you add a visual on a report page after creating a bookmark, the visual will be displayed in its default state. This also means that if you introduce a slicer into a page where you previously created bookmarks, the slicer will behave in its default state.
  • Moving around visuals after a bookmark has been created will be reflected in the bookmark.
  • You must have at least one bookmard in your report, when you publish it to the Power BI service, in order for bookmarks to be available in the service. This is a requirement for each report you publish.

Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI (Preview)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for this information.

I agree to these Limitations in the preview mode. However, the limitation is set in terms of slicer in highlighted 3rd Point.

They have not mentioned anything related to report level filters.

Also, ideally report level filters must override and filter the bookmarks. What do you say?

Prateek Raina 

Hi @prateekraina,

>>Also, ideally report level filters must override and filter the bookmarks.

Actually, I test with report level filter and found it not affect the saved bookmarks. If you click on bookmark, it will restore visualizations to status you save/add the bookmark.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Let me make the picture more clear.

Consider you have a report in which you have a single page and you show a line chart for say Temperature, Humidity etc for thousands of sensors.

You publish this report and later embed this with your Web Application through which you pass filters in this Power BI report.

Example:
Report URL: https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<REPORTID>

Now if i want to see the report for Sensor1 then i will choose Sensor1 in the dropdown of my webapp which will fire below URL:
https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<REPORTID>&$filter=Sensor/SensorName eq 'Sensor1'

So far so Good ?

Now, what i do is i need to showcase a map in the same page of the report in which i will show data of GPS Sensor. So what i do is i add a map on top of line chart and hide it.
I create two bookmarks; 1 with Map and 1 without Map.

I link these bookmarks to a toggle image which acts as my toggle button. So now clicking on this image should either show me Bookmark 1 or BookMark 2.

I now publish this updated report.

Now when i choose say Sensor2 which is my GPS sensor in webapp, following URL is hit:

https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<REPORTID>&$filter=Sensor/SensorName eq 'Sensor2'

Everything is fine till now, the report loads fine and shows me data for Sensor2. Now if i hit my toggle button which should display me the line chart, the Sensor2 filter is lost. The report shows me data across all the sensors.

So my purpose of passing filters through URL is not served.

i hope this scenario will clearly make you understand what i am not able to achieve. This surely cannot be a limitation.

I would request you to kindly upvote the issue i have raised on the community which already has been accepted. Here is the link.

Prateek Raina

Did you find a way to slove this issue ? 

Hi @isaac34,

This issue was resolved when they introduced capability to select Data or not while creating Bookmarks.

Here is the link for reference:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-december-feature-summary/#bookmarkFlexibil...

Prateek Raina

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors