Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chris_hippo
Frequent Visitor

Bing map not plotting points correctly on Firefox?

I have an issue with Firefox not plotting points correctly on Bing maps - viewing via Power Bi website.  It's fine in Chrome and IE.

IE (correct number of points plotted)

Firefox (incorrect - way less points plotted)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It appears this is a rate limit issue with either the Virtualearth.net API or Bing Maps itself.  There is information on both sites relating to imposed limits, but it's hard to tell which ones would apply to a Power BI report viewed over the web where the integration with Bing Maps is completely out of our hands - this should perhaps be something users are made more aware of?

I solved the problem by using an external tool to get the latitude/longitude for each postcode in my dataset and use those rather than postcodes.

Map plots properly accross all browers, every time, using lat/lng.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chris_hippo,

Could you please share your pbix so that I can test it by my side?

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @chris_hippo,

Based on my test, chrome and firefox worked well. Could you please clean the cache and try again? Or update the firefox if necessary.

map.PNG

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Updated both Chrome and Firefox, cleared cache in both and now I see this - no points plotted at all.  I've also tried this on a second computer with the same results.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 09.38.01.png

Hi @chris_hippo,

What is your version of Power BI desktop then?

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank - version 2.62.5222.761 64-bit (september 2018). Points all plot properly in that.

for the sake of it, I tested in Safari on a mac...

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.09.09.png

Some progress - I tried publishing the file again and now Chrome and Safari seem fine, however Firefox (on three separate computers now, one Windows and two OSX - two of which have never logged in to powerbi.com before and had Firefox installed on them this morning specifically to test this) still shows a blank map.

Using Chrome's Developer tools I can see the following in the console - repeated many times, for the URL below (I have removed the key!) . Is this a rate limit for geocoding postcodes? I know you can only do up to 1000 in Power BI Desktop, but this is only tryng to plot around 440.

https://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations/multigeocode?culture=en-GB&output=json&key=xxxx

1. {authenticationResultCode: "ValidCredentials",…}
    1. authenticationResultCode"ValidCredentials"
    2. brandLogoUri"http://dev.virtualearth.net/Branding/logo_powered_by.png"
    3. copyright"Copyright © 2018 Microsoft and its suppliers. All rights reserved. This API cannot be accessed and the content and any results may not be used, reproduced or transmitted in any manner without express written permission from Microsoft Corporation."
    4. errorDetails["Your request could not be completed because of too many requests."]
    5. resourceSets[]
    6. statusCode429
    7. statusDescription"Too Many Requests"
    8. traceId"f0912bd32ebc45e88f4061ce74a3c2ea|DB40210730|7.7.0.0"

It appears this is a rate limit issue with either the Virtualearth.net API or Bing Maps itself.  There is information on both sites relating to imposed limits, but it's hard to tell which ones would apply to a Power BI report viewed over the web where the integration with Bing Maps is completely out of our hands - this should perhaps be something users are made more aware of?

I solved the problem by using an external tool to get the latitude/longitude for each postcode in my dataset and use those rather than postcodes.

Map plots properly accross all browers, every time, using lat/lng.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors