Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

accortdr
Helper I
Helper I

Big Query Oauth Silently Failing

Hello - 

I have had several reports that are drawing from Google Big Query (built-in connector in pbix desktop) that have been running without issue for seveal months now. I had to change ownership of the workspaces that holds the reports and once I took those over, it is asking me to reauthenticate to BQ. Once I "edit credentials" for the BQ data source, It runs me through the oauth screen (pictured below) and I authenticate using the same credentials as always, I complete the steps on google oauth, but it takes me back to the same screen where I started. 

I am able to refresh the data in pbix desktop, but it seems that the connection to BQ in the webservice is failing silently with not much direction. 

Here is my set up / past attempts:

Browser: Chrome is my primary, but have also tried MS edge.

BQ: 

a) Set up a google account with both the account that owns the workspace in PBI and the account that was orignally used to authenticate - neither made a difference

b) verified with my data engineers that the correct permissions are set up in GCP for both accounts

c) Made sure that the auth used in PBIX desktop matched what I tried in the Service. I published a report using both sets of creds and the desktop refresh worked with both, but neither worked in Service.

Service: 

a) I have not taken over all workspaces yet, the ones that are still owned by the old account and they are still working. 

I am not sure about:

- Is there a setting in the tenant where IT could be blocking this? -Not sure where that could be.

accortdr_0-1627650030848.pngaccortdr_1-1627650051559.png

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @accortdr ,

There is a known issue with BIg Query right now.  According to a different post by @LCrum , there is this:

Hi Liu

An update. Created the ticket and now have a resolution.
1. August 2021 updates should resolve the direct connection to Google Big Query

2. As a workaround, create a dataflow to Google Big query, and connect the desktop report to the dataflow and then republish.
In this scenario, this was a successful result for me.
Microsoft technician had the same looping issue directly connecting to Google Big Query.

From this thread: Datasource credentials not saved for Google Big Qu... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

That is good to know, thank you @collinq. Do you have a link to the documentation around the potential 8/21 update that should fix this? 

Hi @accortdr ,

I do not, do you @LCrum ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

LCrum
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, I was only informed that the fix was coming in August.  I was not provided with any other documentation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors