Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mrugesh
Frequent Visitor

Better way to get parameters for datasets ?

Hi Team,

I am using https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/get-dataset-in-group as of today to extract used parameters to replace them with actual values in application.

Only problem with that it has to be called for each dataset, which results N requests, if there are N datasets.

In addition for workspaces I am using a scanner API Scan Results https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/workspace-info-get-scan-result, which returns the workspace information in bulk

This scanner API response does contains the datasets details but no parameter informations.

Que. Is there any better way of fetching parameters for datasets in a single go like the scanner API ? Or have to use the additional API ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mrugesh ,

Yes, this is indeed the case at the moment and cannot support your needs for the time being. Maybe this feature will be implemented gradually in future updates.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mrugesh ,

There is a fixed API for finding parameter values, you can refer to the following documentation, which I hope will help you.

Datasets - Get Parameters - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

@v-mengzhu-msft 

Yes, I am already using an other version of API which returns the same but requires a separate request for each dataset. 

That same as the one you have shared.

Theoratically it sounds fine, but practically what happens if customer have N number of datasets, isn' that equivalent to make N requests?

I was thinking if the Scanner API response can also contain the parameter information along with dataset would void the need of additional such requests.

Thoughts ?

Hi @Mrugesh ,

Yes, what I provided can be used to query parameter values, but it can really only do so for a specific data set, and if there are multiple users involved, it would need to send N queries.
Unfortunately, I tried to check if there is a related API that can fetch multiple datasets and their corresponding parameter value,but it does not seem to be satisfied.
This API has access to all datasets, but it does not seem to contain information about the parameter values.

Datasets - Get Dataset - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Yah, that what it looks like with the API. It looks as of today, there is no way to fetch the parameters in bulk request for dataset IDs, till scanner API or some other API meaningful way club the parameter details for more than one datasets. isn't it ?

Hi @Mrugesh ,

Yes, this is indeed the case at the moment and cannot support your needs for the time being. Maybe this feature will be implemented gradually in future updates.

Best regards,

Hi Team,

We are using  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/get-parameters

To get parameters for our dataset our data set has more than 5000 approx datasets in a workspace( for example).

This is api is returing Too many request just after 950 calls.

{
"error": {
"code": "ActivityLimitReached",
"message": "DiscoverParameterQueries on e47ee212-dc68-4ae4-abb3-6021368d517d throttled"
}
}

So we would like to know what is the throtelling limit ? 

Is there any way to overcome this rate limiting of this API ? 

Is ther any alternatives for this API to get Bulk dataset parameter's ?

As per the below support converstion we don't see any  alternatives

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Better-way-to-get-parameters-for-datasets/m-p/2908944#M1798...

@v-mengzhu-msft wrote:

Hi @Mrugesh ,

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors