Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dirkmuis
Helper II
Helper II

Best way to setup PowerBI

So I've been investigating a lot last year and trying to pick it up again.
See: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Best-practice-sharing-customer-specific-dashboards/td-p/323...

Anyway I'm trying to figure out the best setup for us.

-Distribution to multiple customers

-Custom dashboards per customer next to default dashboards for all
-Multiple devopers

Sofar I was thinking about:

1a. Every developer can use their own powerBI installation, but
How do they share their reports and data with each other?
How do they manage publishing

We could use (are using) one powerBI useraccount at the moment so that publishing will be to the same account, but the PBIX will never be shared between the different developers as far as i know? So how do they take over or continue each others work.

1b. A very simple solution would be to develop every single thing on a server,but then you can't work simultaniously

2. Why should I use PowerBI desktop for creating reports? I can only create one at the time.
I thought this was different before. Has this functionality moved to the online app?

3. On our server we have the scheduler for data installed, should we have PowerBI desktop installed here as well (besides point 1b above).

4. So what is the best publishing way? Is this still:

-Create credentials in our active directory to eah customer.
-Activate Power Bi Pro License (they should)
-Create Power Bi Desktop reports with a rule to filter by customer (RLS). PowerBI app reports I guess?
-Then Publish the report.
-In Service, go to security of the datasource and add the credentials to the rule you have created in Power Bi Desktop.
-Create a dashboard and share it with them.

5. As I'm only able to create one report at the time (with multiple pages) and publish it, how can I download it later when I need to adjust it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dirkmuis ,

#1, You can create a workspace for testing, invite developer accounts and setting group member can edit group contents. If they publish reports to test group, group members can view and edit group contents.

Share your Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

Create workspaces with your colleagues in Power BI

#2, Some of edit features only works on desktop side(dax formula, power query functions, RLS...), current you can do simple operations on service side.

Comparing Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service

#3, For scheduler refresh, you need to install a gateway to handle refresh operations.

Data refresh in Power BI

Configuring scheduled refresh

#4, In fact, power bi service allow you to use multiple functions to share your comments, please refer to below link:

Ways to share your work in Power BI

#5, You can download published report from service side if export option hasn't turned off, you can refer to following document to know more about this feature:

Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dirkmuis ,

#1, You can create a workspace for testing, invite developer accounts and setting group member can edit group contents. If they publish reports to test group, group members can view and edit group contents.

Share your Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

Create workspaces with your colleagues in Power BI

#2, Some of edit features only works on desktop side(dax formula, power query functions, RLS...), current you can do simple operations on service side.

Comparing Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service

#3, For scheduler refresh, you need to install a gateway to handle refresh operations.

Data refresh in Power BI

Configuring scheduled refresh

#4, In fact, power bi service allow you to use multiple functions to share your comments, please refer to below link:

Ways to share your work in Power BI

#5, You can download published report from service side if export option hasn't turned off, you can refer to following document to know more about this feature:

Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors