Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to build a standard report but also allow users to build their own visualisations?

Hi everyone!

I've tried to find the answer to this on here but I haven't found anything conclusive.

I have built quite a complex report for many users which I'm sharing on the Service, the users are part of a 365 group and have access to the workspace I publish the report to. Now the issue is some of my users want to see the data in a slightly different way, do their own analysis, this might just be a one off thing they want to do. Basically, they just want to play around with the data and not be locked in to the visuals I have built for them.

What is the best way to allow the users to be able to do this? Would I need to create an new App workspace and does this actually satisfy my requirement? What are the limitations?

Thanks,

TG

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

I would just upload the report to your workspace twice, as a master and sandbox version. Lock down access to the master (make it read only), but allow users to save a copy of the sandbox version so they can experiment in edit mode.

If you want to avoid cluttering up your workspace, a second app workspace would work as well, using the same setup.

View solution in original post

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

The content pack could be the best choice for now. Please refer to power-bi/service-organizational-content-pack-create-and-publish.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

The content pack could be the best choice for now. Please refer to power-bi/service-organizational-content-pack-create-and-publish.

Best Regards,
Dale

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

I would just upload the report to your workspace twice, as a master and sandbox version. Lock down access to the master (make it read only), but allow users to save a copy of the sandbox version so they can experiment in edit mode.

If you want to avoid cluttering up your workspace, a second app workspace would work as well, using the same setup.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors