Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aldredd
Advocate I
Advocate I

Best way to 'Handover' owndership of Power BI objects

I've built a variety of content (reports, dashboards, content packs etc) for our business. However, if I were to leave, what would be the best way of handing over ownership to someone else? Is simply 'sharing' them enough?

There's nothing 'production' at the moment, all just POC/Testing etc, but keen to understand bets practice for managing ownership.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@aldredd

On top of what @Greg_Deckler already mentioned with powerbi desktop april update there is new feature that lets you create template files (.pbit) which are similar to .pbix except they dont contain any data. In your case you can distribute your template files or store them in central repository and other users can use that to create their own dashboards making them owner.

If your organisation is subscribed to Office365 then you will have access to Admin portal which lets you manage enterprise wide capabilities such as turn on/off features. You can make someone else admin there (in case need to handover). Currently admin portal doesn't have feature where it lets you change owner of report / dashboard but I can guess it would be only matter of time before it is added feature.

There is also 'Request access to dashboard' feature where your users can request access to particular dashboard, owner gets email saying so and so person has requested it and can grant access. That user with access to template file and access to dashboard in powerbi.com can republish that report and I guess it will make him owner.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure there is a best practice yet. I think that Groups would be a good way to do this.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks.

I probably can't use groups, as although I'm on a pro license, this hasn't been rolled out to all users as yet.

I'll ensure everything is shared, and I'll share the pbix files, and see if that covers it!

Ah, you posted this in Service so I was assuming that you were not using PBIX files. Sure, you can put the PBIX files on a network share or OneDrive and that way people can get access to them.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I'm building the data, and in some cases the reports, in desktop, and then publishing to then build the dashboards. So using the pbix files will do the job, though not ideal as it won't cover absolutely everything, but ensures nothing critical is lost.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors