Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

darb
Frequent Visitor

Best way of sharing dashboards and reports

I'm trying to figure out how its best to set up PowerBI for our company.  This is what we're trying to achieve:

Bunch of Dashboards per business function (sales, marketing, ops etc)

one Dashboard per individual member of the team that they can build themselves with the relevant infomation.  

The difficulty i have is that only the creator of the report can pin the visuals from the reports to dashboards..... 

Can someone help with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@darb Here are some options.

Are there 3 scenerio's or just 2? the first two are duplicates...

You haven't provided a lot of background, so you get the gambit of answers.

Typically I roll this out with a reporting team all belonging to the same PBI Group. The group has full access to all reports and datasets, and this serves as the one central location for sharing to the rest of business. If the company is extremely large, you could segment each department or group of departments into PBI groups and manage each individually in the same way.

Have AD groups created for each department, and share a dashboard to the relevant AD group. That way, all security exists with IT. There may be other perms that need assigning to these AD groups on the back end if you are using SSAS or Direct Query, but that is the gist of it.

Another thing to note. I usually build all my reports regardless of datasource in PBIX files, that way I always have a backup if needed. Create business processes to manage how a report is updated in the Service (from local PBIX files)

Bunch of Dashboards per business function (sales, marketing, ops etc) - same as above

one Dashboard per individual member of the team that they can build themselves with the relevant infomation.  

You can't control how many dashboards an end user creates for themselves. This also depends on what the datasource is, and what level of access the end user should have.(which you don't specify)

You could grant the end user access to the source file from a shared network location/One Drive, and they could build their own reports/dashboards. 

If you want to handle creating reports, you could give them a copy of the PBIX (but that gives them the ability to muck around with that.

If you want to control the dataset and reports I would look into Organizational Content Packs. You can share datasets, reports and dashboards using this method, and the end user can create their own objects based on your Content Pack. So, if they wanted to build their own dashboard, they could do it with the reports you shared via this method. Be sure you understand the method in detail prior to implementing as there are some potential gotcha's on the end user if you update/delete the Content Pack.

That's my 2 cents, based on your general questions. Hope it helps.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@darb Here are some options.

Are there 3 scenerio's or just 2? the first two are duplicates...

You haven't provided a lot of background, so you get the gambit of answers.

Typically I roll this out with a reporting team all belonging to the same PBI Group. The group has full access to all reports and datasets, and this serves as the one central location for sharing to the rest of business. If the company is extremely large, you could segment each department or group of departments into PBI groups and manage each individually in the same way.

Have AD groups created for each department, and share a dashboard to the relevant AD group. That way, all security exists with IT. There may be other perms that need assigning to these AD groups on the back end if you are using SSAS or Direct Query, but that is the gist of it.

Another thing to note. I usually build all my reports regardless of datasource in PBIX files, that way I always have a backup if needed. Create business processes to manage how a report is updated in the Service (from local PBIX files)

Bunch of Dashboards per business function (sales, marketing, ops etc) - same as above

You can't control how many dashboards an end user creates for themselves. This also depends on what the datasource is, and what level of access the end user should have.(which you don't specify)

You could grant the end user access to the source file from a shared network location/One Drive, and they could build their own reports/dashboards. 

If you want to handle creating reports, you could give them a copy of the PBIX (but that gives them the ability to muck around with that.

If you want to control the dataset and reports I would look into Organizational Content Packs. You can share datasets, reports and dashboards using this method, and the end user can create their own objects based on your Content Pack. So, if they wanted to build their own dashboard, they could do it with the reports you shared via this method. Be sure you understand the method in detail prior to implementing as there are some potential gotcha's on the end user if you update/delete the Content Pack.

That's my 2 cents, based on your general questions. Hope it helps.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
granthworth
Helper II
Helper II

Interested to see the responses to this one as I am also currently contemplating how to roll this out to my teams. There is a link to the Ideas board in this thread which I believe would provide a pretty nice solution to this issue. I feel your pain.

"Master" Dashboard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors