Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best solution to share reports in an organization

Hi guys,

New to the forum, working as a Data Analyst.

I've got a Power BI Pro license and created a report for everyone in my organization to view - I've published the report to a workspace.

Now, the problem that I'm facing is my colleagues are having to signup to a free 60 day pro-free trial just to view the report. We are a charity and when we bought licenses to Dynamics 365, we received free power BI licenses and so I assumed they could just view reports using them!

If any of you were in the same boat or can suggest a better way for me to share these reports, please let me know!

Thanks!

-Kashif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

From my understanding there is either a Free subscription which is for personal use, or the Pro version which is for company wide use and sharing. I would suggest clarifying this with the relevant person in your organisation.

If you click on the Publish App, they would still require to have either a Power BI Pro license, or have the App Workspace on Power BI Premium

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

When you say they have Power BI Free licenses, are they on an E5 subscription plan from Microsoft?

I would suggest sharing reports via an App, this will allow for easy distribution and more app features coming in the future.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/distribute-to-large-audiences-with-power-bi-apps/

Also if you share any reports or dashboards, via an App or report or dashboard the users consuming the reports will require a Power BI Pro license, or if you are on Power BI Premium they could access it for free via the App.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gilbert,

I think it was a very basic free subscription from microsoft for non-profits.

Ah I see, I did publish the report to the workspace, but didn't "publish the app".

Do you think if I click on "publish app", they'll be able to access the report?

Cheers.

Hi there,

From my understanding there is either a Free subscription which is for personal use, or the Pro version which is for company wide use and sharing. I would suggest clarifying this with the relevant person in your organisation.

If you click on the Publish App, they would still require to have either a Power BI Pro license, or have the App Workspace on Power BI Premium

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors