Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rhys_89

Best practise for freelancing

Hi there!

I have been lucky enough to gain exposure to Power BI through my current organisation. This had led to an idea of freelancing Power BI as a side business to help out in decision making for small-medium businesses through the power of data visualisation.

My challenge is working out what the best process would be in terms of connecting, creating, and publishing reports to the small business client. From my understanding, I would also need to have Power BI Pro installed (I currently have Office 365 Home, can Power BI Pro be linked to my Office 365 Home account?) So far, my thinking process is the following:

1. Sign the client up to Power Bi Pro to enable collaboration

2. Connect to the clients data source using a connector

3. Create the report from my end using Power BI Desktop

4. Publish the report to the cloud

5. Share with the client so they can view/interact with the report on their tablet/mobile device

Do you foresee any challenges I may run into with the above process? I would also appreciate any guidence or advice on setting up this process.

Thank you,

Rhys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there I am sure that this can certainly be done

The only caveat is that if you are working with clients data, are you going to host their data in your Power BI tenant?
If you are then you would need to provision for a Power BI Pro license for the customer.

if you are going to be in their tenant (which might very often be the case, then you would need a login, into their Power BI tenant to be able to upload the PBIX files to their Power BI Service.

I would have a good think about that, and then the other parts should fall into place over time.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Andre_Campos

These words exactly. I'm in the exact same sotuation and I'm also considering doing pbi freelance gigs. But I'm also an admin on my org so it's part of my job to understand a bit of licensing.

My guess is that a premium license (either premium per user or regular premium which I think works per tenant) would allow u to publish reports that can be consumed by users with free pbi licenses. 

These licenses are expensive but they are also very powerful

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there I am sure that this can certainly be done

The only caveat is that if you are working with clients data, are you going to host their data in your Power BI tenant?
If you are then you would need to provision for a Power BI Pro license for the customer.

if you are going to be in their tenant (which might very often be the case, then you would need a login, into their Power BI tenant to be able to upload the PBIX files to their Power BI Service.

I would have a good think about that, and then the other parts should fall into place over time.

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ,

Thank you for your assistence. 

Thinking out loud, I believe the latter would be the best option majority of the time. Is this an easy enough process to follow? Perhaps you have a link with instructions?

Thanks again,

Hi there

I do not have a link with any instructions as each situation will be different. It would depend on your clients and how you interact with them.

Power BI Blog

Hi guys,

I'm also interested with working as a Power BI freelancer. Reading through the comments, I would like to get confirmation with below:

- Myself and the client should have Power BI Pro (can I set up my client's account from my end?)

- I should get log-in details from the client for their Power BI tenant (Is this different from the client's log-in details to Power BI Pro?)

- Once log-in, I'll connect to the clients data source (Accounting Software) using a connector. I'll do this step each time I would need to run new set of reports (or refresh the data) for the client?

- I could start creating reports and dashboards

- I publish these reports and the client can start viewing it (client's Power BI does not need the connector?)

My target clients are small businesses and I would like to be as hassle-free as possible for them, so if I can do things from my end that would be ideal.

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Giomicko

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors