Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jth42
Regular Visitor

Best practice to deal with model updates

I'm a developer with a couple of database apps. I want to provide the CEO access to the databases through Power BI, ideally online.

Getting it started is easy enough, but any time there's a schema change in the databases, I need to update Power BI's idea of the model too.

As far as I can see, this can't be automated, so I have to re-run the wizard in the Desktop application every time that happens.

That also means that if I only want to select certain tables, I will have to manually re-specify those tables in every update.

Did I overlook something?

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm not sure of the wizard that you are talking about. Not sure there is a good answer anyway however. Database schema changes are difficult to deal with in any circumstance. This is one reason people build things like datamarts and such to insulate reporting from the source databases. So that would be a solution or stop with all the database schema updates.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Database schema changes are difficult to deal with in any circumstance

It would be very easy if PowerBI would just allow me define and update the model in the form of some json text file.

Then I could have that generated from my schema.

Hi @jth42,

It would be very easy if PowerBI would just allow me define and update the model in the form of some json text file.

Unfortunately, Power BI doesn't support this feature.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors