Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Helper II
Helper II

Best database option for small business

I have a client who uses a Rest API to retrieve data from their corporate database, currently they pull the data down and into excel, using Power query to massage the data, and push the data back into Power BI web service.

Since they do not use premium, they have no ability to refresh the data automatically without relying on scripts and excel. This increases the chance of error.

I was wondering if it made more sense to pull the data into a cloud based database using API at set intervals, then direct Power BI to the database to pull the data into the Power BI Web Service. 

Do you recommend a cloub based database other than azure or sql server? The company is too small for the large expenses related with premium and azure.

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @10500438 

For your requirement, you don't want azure or sql server, I would suggest you use Excel as  the datasouce, then you could also upload it to onedrive or sharepoint. 

Now you could get data in power bi and set Scheduled refresh for this datasource. This does not need premium.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors