Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Practices for Collaborating With Colleagues

Hi Folks,

It's a broad question but I can't seem to find definitive best practice documents on how we should collaborate on reports.

Here's what we currently do:

Right now, our team primarily uses one data set that we created and published to Power BI Service. The data is modelled & formatted perfectly. We consider this our one source of truth.

We then create new reports in Power BI desktop using the "Golden Dataset" and publish these to Power BI Service.

We have a standard/rule set in place: The newest version of a report must always be found in our App Workspace on Power BI Service. This means that when somebody downloads and edits a report from Power BI service, they must make sure to republish to the App Workspace in Power BI Service.

We want to avoid the problems of multiple pbix files floating around our shared drive (like all our excel files).

So I have the following questions:

1. What do you think of our process?
  2. What processes have you in place with your team?
  3. How would you refine our process?
  4. Where can I find Standard Operating Procedures from Microsoft on collaborating so that we can align our current processes with Microsofts vision for PBI?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would say sooner than later the Power BI team is going to enabled shared & certified datasets. This will allow you to have one dataset which can then be shared across multiple app workspaces.

That will mean that you can centrally manage a single data source and people from other App workspaces can connect to this single data source.

Here is more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/intelligence-platform...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors