Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

karimk
Helper III
Helper III

Best Practice when Changing Report Owner

Hey everyone.

The person responsible for publishing some of the dashboards and reports here in my department has left the company.

How do you guys manage the distribution of dashboards and reports, while still being independent from a certain employee?

As to next steps, I think the basic is to:

1) The person leaving the company has to unshare everything. We have every report in a desktop version, but dashboards have to be remade?

2) A new person has to republish everything. The only thing our users will see different in their "Shared with Me" page is a different owner for the reports.

If I worked with app spaces, it wouldn´t matter if a person left, right? As long as there is more than 1 user with edit capabilities...

About app spaces: even if someone from the workspace updates the database, I still have to republish the app so users see new data on the reports?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @karimk

What you could do is to use the PowerShell script below to take over the dataset in the Power BI Service.

This will allow you to keep everything as is, but change the Owner.

https://github.com/Azure-Samples/powerbi-powershell/blob/master/takeover-dataset.ps1

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mczeigler12
Frequent Visitor

Does changing the ownership of the dataset also change the ownership of the related report and dashboard?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @karimk

What you could do is to use the PowerShell script below to take over the dataset in the Power BI Service.

This will allow you to keep everything as is, but change the Owner.

https://github.com/Azure-Samples/powerbi-powershell/blob/master/takeover-dataset.ps1

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors