Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Best Practice: User can share to limited users ( between his security Group )

I don't think this is possible yet in PowerBI & O365 ( or it will be ) but we need to apply the following scenario. The organisation uses O365 and AAD only  ( no AD domain on premises). 

How we can prevent a user to share a dashboard with all other users ( are visible in search when sharing a dashboard )  in the organisation. We need the user for example belonging in AAD security group "Finance" to be able to share dashboards only within this group and not be able to share for example with users from Human resource which can belong to other security group.

Is this possible, because I cannot see a way to achieve that, at least with my knowledge with AAD?

Konstantinos Ioannou
2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@konstantinos One thing you can do is setup Row Level Security based on user's team so for example user A only sees data for Finance in the report. This is diffeent from your question about stopping users from shareing outside team but at least it will meet your purpose somewhat. If you're O365 global admin you can also go to Setting -> Admin Portal -> User management and control what your users can do and there is a option there which will stop your users from sharing with entire organisation however whether it will allow team based or not I'm not sure.

@ankitpatira Thanks, but RLS do not solve the issue that someone ( suppose they even know RLS ) can upload a dataset containing sensitive information ( payroll etc ) and share it with other , even accidentally. 

I am an admin but this setting is for sharing Content packs and not dashboards and also it let you share with anyone by selecting his email or distribution/security group. 

I was thinking a if there is a way maybe to work with subdomains. 

Or if is possible with AD on premises and connecting with AAD. 

Sorry but while PowrBI admin I have limited knowledge on AD and infrastructure

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors