Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

erinn_mitchell
Advocate I
Advocate I

Best Practice Filter Pane in Service and Mobile App Uses vs. Slicers on a Report Tab

To slice the data, PBI gives the functionality to use slicers on a report OR there is the filter pane on the far right in service and in the mobile app (accessed by the filter icon). Do users have a better experience using one over the other or do they use both? And why? I see that in the filter pane, report-level, page, and visual filters can be deleted, which seems like a risk to give users that ability. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@erinn_mitchell Typically the Slicers are really useful for the quick filters that end users will use alot. In many cases, users want many more filters and those can be easily applied to the filters pane.

Alternatively, the filters pane allows for a "Set Once" experiance by allowing users to set the filters in "Report Filters" and navigate to multiple pages with the same filter context.

Usage would/should vary depending on the end user needs.

In terms of use cases where applying a filter for the dataset that the end user doesn't understand, and where removing it causes an issue... there is no good solution yet as they can remove it temporarily. 

Overall, it just depends on need/wants of the end user or look/feel of the reports

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
erinn_mitchell
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for your help and quick response! 

@erinn_mitchell Typically the Slicers are really useful for the quick filters that end users will use alot. In many cases, users want many more filters and those can be easily applied to the filters pane.

Alternatively, the filters pane allows for a "Set Once" experiance by allowing users to set the filters in "Report Filters" and navigate to multiple pages with the same filter context.

Usage would/should vary depending on the end user needs.

In terms of use cases where applying a filter for the dataset that the end user doesn't understand, and where removing it causes an issue... there is no good solution yet as they can remove it temporarily. 

Overall, it just depends on need/wants of the end user or look/feel of the reports

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors