Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Philip0123
Frequent Visitor

BI reports drill down correctly in "Desktop" but goes to Next Level In Heirarchy in "Service"

Hi,

I have a report I created using the Desktop program and uploaded it to the Service for sharing. Both Desktop and Service reports worked exactly the same, so had no issues for past few months. However, now when I drill down on my report in Service it just goes to the next level in the heirarchy. I go from Month level to Week level, for example, and in Desktop it would show only the data for the weeks in that specific month I drilled on, but in Service it shows all the weeks covered by my dataset.

I'm starting to panic a bit as I need these reports today. Any advice out there?

7 REPLIES 7
nayan28apr
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I am also facing similar type of issue. In desktop application drill down buttons are visible. Below is the screengrab.

Desktop View.PNG

Here I have given below values which are present in different tables.

Given Axis.PNG

Now when I publish it to service this buttons are getting disappeared. 

service.PNG

As a solution of it, I tried to edit report in service, removed visualization and added back and saved. This way it retained the drill down bar.  or switching on drill down from explorer and clicking on bars. Also right click on bar to drill up or down. But my client needs this drill down row.

workaround.PNG

Now when my reports are getting refreshed via gateway again all the buttons are disappearing which is frustating. Do you have any idea why is this getting disappeared?

Thanks,

Nayan Rathi

loicberger

We have exactly the same issue, which appeared ~2 days ago only - everything was working well before.

- Drill down is still working well on Desktop

- On the published report (online), it does not work any more, it just goes to next level for all items (not only the one you want to drill down)

This needs to be fixed very urgently as it makes the reports quite useless!

Thanks a lot in advance for looking at it

LisaN
Regular Visitor

Hi there,

I have also a report that works correctly in "Desktop" with the Drill downs, but then the same report no longer drills down correctly in "Service".

The report did used to work perectly fine until yesterday.  Has something changed with the "service" that has impacted everyones reports with drill down?

LisaN
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have a report using Desktop where the Drill Down hierarchy works perfectly fine retaining the correct filters and this was also the case in using the exact same report in the Web Service until yesterday.

For some unknown reason, on the Service side, the filtering is not working correctly when drilling down through the heirarchy.

Please can someone offer advice on how to resolve this, or confirm if something has changed with the Web Service?

Philip0123
Frequent Visitor

So, figured out if I drill down from highest level in heirarchy the drill down works fine. If I at any point click on "Go to next level in heirarchy" and try to drill down from that point it simply continues going to next level in heirarcy.

So if I drill down in September I expect CW35-39, but I see CW5-39 (which is the extent of my dataset). If I now drill down further to the day level in CW39, for example, I see the totals for the whole year per day instead of only the totals for that week per day.

In desktop app it works normally. 

HI @Philip0123,

You can turn on 'drill mode' button to enable click to drill to correspond next level of clicked label.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks I am aware of that functionality, that's not the problem. The problem is that drill down does not function as intended currently. 

For example I have a report with heirarchy Year>Month>Week>Day

I can go to next level in heirarchy from the Month level and see data grouped by week for all the weeks in my datasource. That is fine and expected. But when I click to drill down on a specific month, September for example, I expect only the weeks in September, which is the result I usually get and which I still get in the desktop app. But in service when I drill down on September I see all the weeks of the year and not just the weeks in September, so in short, drill down currently acts like going to next level in heirarchy. But it only does it in service and not in my desktop app. So, I assume there is a bug.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors