cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobregon
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

BI fails in PowerBI service but not in local. There's not enough memory to complete this operation

Hi,

I have several BI reports in different workspaces that have started to fail during the refresh (scheduled or on demand) since some days ago, with error "There's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available."

Some of the BIs that are failing, have 100mb size (not much) and takes 2min to refresh in local.. but when i publish again and try to refresh "on demand" it takes 1h and then fails with similar error. I dont have any problems with the size of the workspace , etc. 

Is is possible that there are something wrong or bug in the service that are producing this? it is strange that my BIs that are cofnigured months ago.. started to fail now.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dobregon
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

it seems that i dont have the issue since this weekend

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
dobregon
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

it seems that i dont have the issue since this weekend

otravers
Super User
Super User

So far Microsoft has acknowledged issues with dataflow refreshes but not dataset refreshes. It's been pretty bad for weeks now, and feel very random.

I feel the whole thing is way oversubscribed/under-resourced, especially Pro but even PPU has random stalling refreshes. To mitigate this, I'm splitting ETL out of datasets and into several dataflows to limit having a single point of failure, though that's not always a practical solution depending on your data sources and data model.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
More tips and guidance in my Power BI architecture and development blog
JeffTurpin

Same issue here, started Wednesday morning for my organization.

Ferrus
Advocate II
Advocate II

Since early this week the refresh of dataset on Powerbi Service takes either more than an hour (usually 5min) or get canceled because the refresh took too much time.

The dataflows refresh are running fine!

And the refresh from PBI Dekstop doesn't have any problem too!

Ferrus
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm experiencing the same issue here to refresh dataset in PBI Service, location : France

since when? i destect since last weekend. 

_7arjun7_

Even we are facing the exact same issue , it does feel more like this is a bug rather than some data issue

Yes it seems something in the service... becasue in local refresh correctly en few minutes but in service fails... and in service fails during the mornings (spain) but not during the afternoon.. seems strange.

i will wait if someone of microsoft can tell something about this

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2022 update 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the August 2022 updates!

August 1 episode 9_no_dates 768x460.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors