Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swentworth
Regular Visitor

BI Service Update

Power BI service updates on or about 2MAY2017 resulted in significant end user interface changes that reduced the confidence in Power BI for our clients. 

Specifically, we are a Microsoft CRM consulting firm that develops Power BI dashboards/reports/datasets for our clients.  Our clients were familiar with and using daily, the dashboards and reports at 'My Workspace' when logging into app.powerbi.com.  The Power BI service updates were sprung upon us and our clients quickly discovered that the dashboards and reports. we had developed for them were no longer existing within 'My Workspace'. 

We did rapidly (re)develop  the collection of dashboards/reports/datasets as an 'app', and published.  Nonetheless, our clients are not pleased with this dramatic change.

I suggest that as changes are planned and actually made to the Power BI service, efforts are taken to ensure current behavior is maintained for some defined period of time and communication as to when current behavior must be replaced by new development or deployment is widely communicated to the Power BI developer and user community.

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@swentworth

You can turn of the new navigation in Power BI Service settings as below. 

BI Service Update_1.jpg

BTW, the dashboard and report are still availabe in My Workspace under new navigation as below.  

BI Service Update_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Thank you for the explanation for changing the navigation.  The before and after behavior we experienced has detail beyond this.

Before:

PBIdeveloper@alphacorp.com develops and publishes ‘.pbix’ files from PowerBI Desktop to PowerBI.

PBIdeveloper@alphacorp.com signs into app.powerbi.com.

PBIdeveloper@alphacorp.com creates dashboards by pinning report visuals.

PBIdeveloper@alphacorp.com can see the datasets, reports, and dashboards within ‘My Workspace’.

According to user01@alphacorp.com they would sign into app.powerbi.com and also see the datasets, reports, and dashboards within (their) ‘My Workspace’.

user01@alphacorp.com shares dashboards with username@alphacorpclient01.com, username@alphacorpclient02.com, and so on.  The clients are consumers of the data, not members of alphacorp.com.

After:

Shortly after 2MAY2017, user01@alphacorp.com informed us that within (their) ‘My Workspace’ they saw ‘  ‘You have no dashboards’, ‘You have no reports’,  ‘You have no workbooks’, ‘You have no datasets’.

I developed the app ‘alphacorpcollection’ so they would once again have access to the dashboards and reports.

My concern now though, is to maintain the original set of dashboards,reports,datasets within PBIdeveloper… ‘My Workspace’ as those dashboards were shared with clients of alphacorp.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors