Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kaarel
Resolver I
Resolver I

Azure VM and SSAS live connection map user name error

Hi!

I'm trying to test live connection to SSAS multidimensional running on Azure VM with SQL 2016 Enterprise. It is not joined to any domain. I've mapped powerbi.com user names to local account via "map user accounts" functionality in Power BI service. However it won't connect and SQL Trace shows the following message:

The following system error occurred:  The name provided is not a properly formed account name. 

What might be the problem? Is domain connection a requirment still even with the new "map user accounts" functionality?

Thanks,

Kaarel.

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@kaarel

Have you tested the rule in "Map User Name"? Make sure the returned name is exactly match the user name on your Azure VM. 

And "Map User Name" usually need few minutes to take effect, please wait for a while and test again.

Also make sure you update the latest gateway and check if there's any proxy setting in your environment. See a related thread: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Issue-with-Map-username-feature-in-SSAS-data-source/td-p/40...

Regards,

So it should work even if the Azure VM is not joined to a domain controller?

Hi Kareel

I know what causes the problem but not how to fix it but thought this might help point others in the roght direction...

This article seems to says it due to the SSAS host (in my case on-prem) being in a different domain to the account that I use to login in to Power Bi with.

I've been playing about with the Gateway's "map user names" functionality to see if it lets me map the Power BI login to an on-prem account but this doesnlt seem to work (altough it did change the error retured by the data source to "there are currently no logon servers available to service the login request" which is probably becuase this is a demo environment and the on-prem SSAS instance isn't on a domain so maybe this would work if it was).

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors