Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure Synapse Analytics (SQL DW) not available in Manage Gateway

I am trying to configure Azure Synapse Analytics (SQL DW) on Data Gateway however the option to choose connector for 
"Azure Synapse Analytics (SQL DW)" is not available in the drop down. On Power BI Desktop its available.

Is it bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ  in our enviornment it is allowed to enable this setting by the security and infrastucture team, so i give it a shot and chose SQL Server as a conector to configure data source on the data gateway and it worked.

However i must say it weird that it has worked when the connector on the PBI desktop is different and on gateway is different.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Yeah understood it should then be working. You might need to chat to the security and infrastucture team to get it working!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ  in our enviornment it is allowed to enable this setting by the security and infrastucture team, so i give it a shot and chose SQL Server as a conector to configure data source on the data gateway and it worked.

However i must say it weird that it has worked when the connector on the PBI desktop is different and on gateway is different.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You should be able to just upload this to the Power BI Service and when you go into the data source connections in the dataset settings there will be an option to edit the credentials for the data source.

What this means is you should not need the gateway to connect to Azure Synapse Analytics because it is a Microsoft Azure Service.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ you are right, and as per the documentation as well Azure Synapse Anlaytics does not require gateway, however for that to work the setting below should be enabled, which in our enviornment its not and that why i am looking for the alternate.

1. Sign in to the Azure portal.
  2. Go to the Azure SQL database for which you're configuring refresh.
  3. At the top of the Overview blade, select Set server firewall.
  4. On the Firewall settings blade, make sure that Allow Azure services and resources to access this server is set to Yes.

Yeah thanks for that I would expect it to then be working.

Maybe it takes a bit of time before the changes take place?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors