Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomsog1
Frequent Visitor

Azure SQL Direct Query error: Login failed for user '<token-identified principal>'

Hi All,

I have recently encountered an error where we have a report which connects to an Azure SQL database using direct query with database authentication.

When both myself and my colleague connect to it in the desktop it works fine and the visuals all work correctly. However when my colleague published the report online the following errors were given.

thomsog1_0-1626979994365.png

However when I uploaded the same report with no changes it worked fine. And when went into the Dataset and retyped in the same connection information in Data Source Credentials it worked fine.

The only difference that we can think is that I was the person who created and administered the database... But since it uses database authentication, I don't see why that would matter...? After I have edited the credentials he can even publish the exact same report and it works fine (we assume because the credentials are still working from when I typed them in)

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @thomsog1 

Can you confirm when setting up the credentials that you are not using Single Sign On (SSO)?

Also it would appear that your credentials are the only ones who works and has access to the database? 

I would suggest adding the other users who you want to setup and configure the data source credentials.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ thanks for replying so quickly (apologies for the slow response)!

I would imagine both myself and my colleague use SSO to login to the Power BI online service.

So despite me creating a database login, since I created it, only I can use it in the online service, but on desktop it works fine? Is there a reason for that? 

Also, when you say adding other users. Do you mean within the database itself?

Many thanks for all your help!

Hi @thomsog1 

What you could do is to configure it to use a single login on the data source credentials which would be used for all report consumers?

Power BI Blog

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand... Would this essentially mean between myself and my colleague we had a different company account to log into Power BI online to connect to the database?

TBH, I thought thats what I was trying to do with my database login that I created... avoiding one single person having access.

Hi @thomsog1 

I have done that in the past and it has worked without any issues in the past. I would suggest checking the documentation? 

Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ for your suggestion and that link!

I'll test this approach out and if successful, accept your result as the solution. It still confuses me why a login is created for that database specifically it won't work...

Yes please let me know how it goes.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors