Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure SQL Datawarehouse + DirectQuery + Power BI = ?

Dear Community,

I have a question :

In a Big Data Architecture (Data Lake Store), is connecting Power BI to Azure SQL Datawarehouse through DirectQuery not to heavy to support for it ?
It's not going to saturate the dababase ?

Thank you for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous In my opinion DQ is valueable for extremely large datasets that you can't stick in Azure Analysis Services, if you can - I'd recommend adding the AS layer and having Power BI live connect to that. You'll get much better performance and you won't need to model in the PBI reports. If you are "at scale" where that isn't feasible, you just need to ensure you are tuning your queries in the WH to be as performant as possible because every interaction by a report user will execute a query. So you will need to do some anlysis on expected workload and user base to understand the type of performance/sizing you require for the WH to support internal and external workloads.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous In my opinion DQ is valueable for extremely large datasets that you can't stick in Azure Analysis Services, if you can - I'd recommend adding the AS layer and having Power BI live connect to that. You'll get much better performance and you won't need to model in the PBI reports. If you are "at scale" where that isn't feasible, you just need to ensure you are tuning your queries in the WH to be as performant as possible because every interaction by a report user will execute a query. So you will need to do some anlysis on expected workload and user base to understand the type of performance/sizing you require for the WH to support internal and external workloads.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer !

So, is AS + LiveConnect a suitable solution for a large company with a lot of users ?

@Anonymous  Yes, it is from an enterprise reporting standpoint. There are a whole slew of ways in which you can implement solutions, but from an enterprise level AS should be part of your solution to support larger models and needs for enterprise reporting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors