Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vaishali04
Helper II
Helper II

Azure SQL Database connection in Power BI service

Hi All, 

my data is in Azure MI. So in Power BI Desktop I am using Azure SQL Database connector to fetch data from database in Azure Managed Instance  using VPN. But I am not able to refresh the data in Power BI service. Is it because there we can't use VPN? In Power bI service it says my data is in cloud so i can't use gateway also. Can anyone please help on this.

Regards

Vaishali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vaishali04 ,

If your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks, gateway is needed.

cloud.jpg

Reference: On-premises data gateway FAQ.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vaishali04 ,

If your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks, gateway is needed.

cloud.jpg

Reference: On-premises data gateway FAQ.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Vaishali04 ,

If the ports on your firewall are open to allow VPN traffic through it (and back and forth from you Azure Portal) then all should be well.  The issue(s) are most likely that you have to have ports open, permissions, and firewalls set up to allow this to work. You may have to use fiddler to trace your network and see where the error lies.  

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors